This article was written by the leader of our home school group, Erin. She is such an insightful, wise, godly and disciplined woman. I don't know her well personally, but she shares the devotions at the monthly meetings and is always very inspirational. I wanted to share this article with you. May we all have a place to dream!
A Place of Rest
Think of a place where you feel safe. A place where your soul is
completely at rest and where sharing your heart comes without
ridicule. A place where dreams are encouraged instead of
squelched, where the people you love are also your dearest
friends, and celebration happens daily instead of only on holidays. A place filled with
laughter and the comfort of encouragement when there are tears. Heaven? No, not
quite. But could it be a description of your home? Or mine?
Theresa Grimaldi, my best friend in 5th and 6th grade, grew up in my neighborhood
and lived in a place of rest just as I have described. Her 5 sisters and 1 brother
couldn’t wait to get home from school each day. Oh, the rhythm of their life was
LOUD and looked like chaos most of the time, but it felt like rest. As the door swung
open at 4 p.m., everyone scrambled for a snack and practically talked on top of each
other about the day. Their Mom, fully engaged, connected with each trauma and
funny story. Snacks finished- chores began. Everyone had a different room of the
house to tackle, along with a kitchen or laundry duty. They loved working together;
you could tell by the hilarious laughter and dancing. It happened like clockwork every
day. I know, because I was there, along with many other friends. The Grimaldi home
was a place we all wanted to live.
Yet, life was not easy. Mr. Grimaldi served in Vietnam the entire two years I knew
them before they were transferred. Money was so tight we often prayed for food to be
supplied for the next week. Their eldest daughter became pregnant several months
before her wedding day. Broken appliances, no money for winter coats, long periods
of time without a word about their Dad’s whereabouts were just a few of the constant
stresses. Tears sometimes streamed down Mrs. Grimaldi’s weary face and still rest
and peace in their household was unwavering.
Today, I look back and see that the safety net of peace we all felt in the Grimaldi
home did not “just happen.” It took daily prayer, constant focus, and encouragement
on their mother’s part. Her courage and trust in our mighty Savior transformed and
strengthened them as a family. She believed God was with them and it showed.
Gratefully, I realize my own home fits many of these descriptions. Our children,
including my oldest son and daughter in law, would rather be at our house than
anywhere else on earth. It has become a refuge for all of these dear ones, a place of
rest. Routine has given stability. Six o’clock meals often include many unannounced
guests who happily set the table and creatively help us stretch the meal. Deep
discussion, laughter, and board games have become our mainstay. And although
there have even been traumatic years of illness and sorrow, God has faithfully taught
us to celebrate each day. We have chosen to keep our hearts trusting and our doors
are open wide.
ERIN
Lord, May all who grace our doorstep feel your presence and find a place of rest.
“[Teach us to] live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” 1Tim 2:2
1 comment:
Very nice story! How I would love to have that kind of home. Unwavering faith and so much happiness. Chores at our house?? I must not make it fun enough, for there is no dancing and laughing... only grumbling. Oh how I would love to sit and visit with Mrs. Grimaldi! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment