Monday, February 8, 2010

The First Day of the Rest of Your Life

I heard a song on the radio today on my way to boot camp. The dj said it was his favorite song of all time, for all eternity. (Really?) It was a pretty good song, although I don't remember the tune or many of the words. It said today is the first day of the rest of your life.

At the end of boot camp, the instructor asked us what today is. Feeling unusually un-shy, I said, "It's the first day of the rest of your life!" That must have been the answer she was looking for, cuz she ran with it! She said we should make today be the beginning of the new things we want in our lives. And (her words), most of the things we want and don't have are in an area of discomfort. That's why we don't have them! So if you're feeling discomfort (which we were at that point), take heart! You're working through the discomfort to get your life to where you want it to be.

A thought like this hit me in the last few months. Actually, it was around my 35th birthday. I realized that I could be halfway through my life. That I am a real adult now. That I must take responsibility for myself. And most of all, that life isn't going to slow down any, and if I want to do something, I need to just do it. This may be the healthiest I am going to be. If I want to take my kids snow skiing, I should do it now before my knees give out. :)

Other things I became proactive about: my hair. I have never had long hair. My husband has always said he likes long hair. So I'm growing my hair out. (Saves a lot of cash at the salon, too.)

Going to boot camp is a pretty big deal for me. I could never be on Survivor because I am a wimp when it comes to discomfort and unsanitary conditions. But I decided that I want to be as healthy as I can, and live life to the full. I'm tired of being tired. Tired of people asking me if I've been running when I answer the phone huffing & puffing. Nope, just winded from the walk from the couch. The church down the road offers this boot camp for free at a time that works for me, so I had no reason at all not to go for it. Other than the wimp part... I've been only about 4 times, and am pretty sore. But it has really helped me want to be more active. I enjoy exercising now. I have dusted off the elliptical machine a few times already! Plus I feel more confident in myself, as well as the great feeling of accomplishment. I don't feel like I need to be "doing more" because I'm taking care of it every Monday & Thursday. BTW, the boot camp instructor did the at-home training for one of the Biggest Loser winners! Pretty cool, huh?! She's much nicer than Jillian.

There's one area that I need to jump into that discomfort with both feet: training my kids. And I don't mean bicycle training. Training them in godliness, most importantly, but also with home schooling. I've been getting by okay, because with young children, almost everything is a learning opportunity. But I want to be intentional with what I teach them, and that's not going to happen unless I "carpe diem" and make it happen. I know I need to get up earlier and get myself together to get our day started right, but it is so hard. That's my discomfort, for sure!

Another thing: my marriage. A year or two ago, I just got to the point where I thought, we are going different directions. This is not how I want the rest of our married life to be. Something has to change. And I'm pretty sure it was me! I remember praying only twice for God to bring us closer. Oh, I guess it was probably more than twice, but it wasn't something I thought about a lot. Over time, however, God answered that prayer. Not because I prayed it, but because it is His will.

God has really changed us both in the last year or so. I was just thinking today how amazing is the level of trust I have with my husband. We are on the same team now on just about everything. I learned not to blame him for my stuff. He learned to lower his expectations. Ha! We know each other better. We know how to communicate. He has made us more sensitive & considerate to each other. I don't know how my husband does it, but I can ask him to fix something while he's in the middle of beating our son in mario kart (yeah, he regained his title), and he actually remembers it! And takes care of it in the next 24 hours! He actually hears what I say to him about calendaring events, picking up things at the store, and my plans for the next day. Listening is something I have had to work on as well. He includes me in his decisions and sometimes uses my ideas. He always puts the kids & I first, and always takes my side when they attack!

But this didn't come with just being married & living together for 10 years. I can't put my finger on it. It didn't happen in one day. I think it took moments that came one-by-one, where I was faced with the choice to support my husband or belittle him. And because of the Holy Spirit, and being in God's word, I more often made the right choices. One at a time, day by day, step by step....in the right direction. Finally.

I'm so thankful for this first day.

3 comments:

Sue said...

I really loved reading this. Thank you for sharing your life with us. I love the quote, too. My mom gave me that many many years ago on a piece of paper....I think it is still on my refrigerator, although it may be covered with pictures.

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Interesting perceptions! I know 35 was a turning point for me. I also thought about the fact that if I lived to be 70 that would mean that my life was already half over. How depressing that was for me! Yes, I spent a full week literally moaning and groaning and depressed. I'm thankful God pulled me out of that and showed me what that really meant for me. I knew it was time to stop waiting for the right moment and start acting. For me, it wasn't about a "bucket list" of things I need to do before I pass away. My life has been full; there is nothing I feel I have to do before I'm gone. It wasn't about that at all, but more about my legacy. What am I leaving behind for my kids, my family, and my friends? Am I seizing every single opportunity to teach my kids about God's love, His mercy and His grace? There are teachable moments in every single day. I have learned to grab them while they are there and use them. Am I living the life of the Proverbs 31 virtuous woman? Yes, I desire it greatly but am I acting on it?

Wow! Where did that come from? Sorry, guess I'm in a rambling mood once again. Haha! Anyway, I loved reading your post and excited for you and what is going on in this season of your life. Thanks for sharing of your heart, Julie! Love you!

Stephanie Harbin said...

Wow, how did you get to be 35??? I feel 14 still and so you should be in elementary school. These are some interesting thoughts. I hope you are happy, because it is a sad waste to be unhappy.

love you