I don't usually do posts based on the days of the week 'cause, lets face it, my posts happen about once a month. So I guess this should be called "Thankful April". It was Thursday when I woke up this morning, and thus shall my post be called.
Anyway, it's 2:22 AM and I want to write down the great things that happened today because they will be forever lost once I go to sleep here in a few.
My favorite one was while my friend & I were eating at Chick-Fil-A tonight with our kids, I look over and see our sons at "the big boy table" holding hands (just one hand) with their heads bowed, and my son is praying. Out loud. As always, he thanks God for our dog first. Priorities you know. It brought tears to my eyes.
Earlier in the day, when we got home from boot camp, my son announced that today is the day we would take the training wheels off his sister's bike. She had no problems with it, so we proceeded. We have been talking about doing that for about a week and just hadn't found the time. It could have been his attempt to get out of doing the rest of his homework, but was a selfless act nonetheless.
Before I knew it, he was out of the van, had located his dad's tools, and got to work on those old rusted nuts & bolts on her garage sale Barbie bike. We finally got the training wheels off and got her padded up. Then HE took charge of getting her bike into the street, getting her on it, and holding on for her first attempt! He was so sweet to her, encouraging her and helping her out with careful instruction, just like his Daddy did for him when he learned SO long ago. (February.)
Usually she is my little dare-devil, but today she got a little frustrated, probably because it didn't come naturally to her like everything else does. So she tried a little, rode for a few seconds without falling, and then wanted the wheels back on. Being Ms. Mercy that I am, told her there was no way we're going back to those, it would be like her & brother wearing diapers again. On second thought, they might like the idea of diapers now that going to the potty is a constant battle of the wills!
She practiced a little more with Daddy tonight and did great. She's not quite taking off on her own, but I figure it will happen soon enough. Once she gets the hang of it, we will all be scrambling to keep up.
Lastly, my sweet friends, our kids & I went to visit a family from our old church whose husband/father passed away in March. He was only 50 years old and died of cancer. These people were always teaching in the children's ministry at that church, going to kids kamp, and just generally loving the Lord by loving people. She is one of the best kindergarten teachers I know. And Carey did something most people don't have the guts to do: teach 6th graders. For years. They were so supportive of me while I was the children's minister there, when I didn't know what I was doing, and was so "green", but not in an earth-day kind of way. :)
The wife told us about his last days, and how she told him it was okay for him to go be with Jesus. He had taken such good care of them (her & the kids) and they would be alright. She knew his heart wanted to stay, but his body just wouldn't let it happen. I still can't believe he's gone.
In her wisdom, she reminded us to love our husbands and our kids, and don't sweat the small stuff. Carey lived a full life, she said he did everything he wanted to do. We don't understand why God would let such a godly, good, and needed person go so soon. HE must have something amazingly spectacular in store for those who knew Carey. I am so grateful to have known him. Wish I'd gone to see him this last year. Guess I'll have to wait just a little longer.
Thank you, Lord, for his 50 years of joy.
4 comments:
love this precious, precious blog. Thank you so much for posting and for being awake in the night to share your heart in such a beautiful way about your friend and that life of God's servant.
Loved the bicycle story, too....and I thought Ryan was just being helpful so Bekah wouldn't ride his bike! You do have precious children and i know you cherish these beautiful moments. AND....i'm not prejudiced one bit, either!
Your blog made me cry!!
Today we had B. try her bike again. She did, and asked for her wheels back again. Then we all go in, and the kids disappear. I look out the garage, and there they are in the street. B. just took off on her bike and left Ryan in the dust! She rode all the way to the stop sign! Then turned around & came back! I was flabbergasted! I guess she just needed some time to do it on her own, and prove to herself that she can do it!
I can't wait to ride the turnpike trail altogether!
Sorry Stee, didn't mean to make you cry, although I was crying as I wrote it, and I cry when I read it again. I love you.
Post a Comment