Saturday, May 16, 2009

A "Day On" and Other Weekend Happenings

Warning: Rambling thoughts below!

Today was technically my hubby's day off, but not until he put our son to bed did he actually rest. So I can't call it his "day off." We had a great weekend together going to garage sales (my favorite), soccer games (family favorite) and cleaning out rooms of our house (his favorite).

The kids said some funny things that I want to write down before I forget.
  • I was telling our son what I wrote on his b-day invitations: "Bring your water gun & swim trunks." He asked, "Does that mean swimming suit in Spanish?"
  • The other day our daughter was pushing her baby doll around in her toy stroller. Usually she says that her baby needs her "gwam-ma" and has me hold the baby while she goes off to work (at church, she's a teacher there). This time she stopped mid-stride, looks me up & down and says, "Uh, my baby don't wanna go wif you. She's scared 'cause she don't like that shirt with those pants (pay-ants)." What's a Gwam-ma to say?
  • She made up for it though. I tell her from time to time that she is my precious baby girl. One night at bedtime she told me I was her precious mommy.

  • Tonight at bedtime Daughter was praying and said, "Thank you God for my daddy and for Ryan ("Wyan"), my ... (I'm waiting for 'brother') ...he's my best fwend."
This afternoon one of them said a not-so-funny thing--the "s" word. No, not the 4-letter word, but the 6-letter one. That person had to suck on a bar of soap for 10 seconds. We'll see if it works.

I love neighborhood garage sales. We get to walk around, and buy stuff for pennies. And this weekend was great weather for it. I like to look for stuff that I am wanting to buy anyway. I found a lot of it this time.

My biggest jackpot was a house in my neighborhood where the lady used to be a teacher. Looked like she taught 2nd grade. I spent $30 there, and let me tell you what I got! Twenty-six kids reader books, a Trend box for posters, posters IN that box that were already laminated!, the set of seasons, months, & days already laminated, 3 canvas wall pocket charts, maps, kid-size lined paper, a bag of junky toys for a treasure chest, 3 teachers guides in binders for phonics, reading, and something else I can't remember, Mailbox workbooks, a tulle thingy to hang over my daughter's bed, and more, with most of it being in nice rubbermaid tubs with lids. Oh, and 2 jigsaw puzzles, a phonics game puzzle, Rush Hour Traffic game, brand new sentence strips, and a bulletin board border set. Can you believe that? The guy selling it said his wife wasn't home, and he wanted his garage back! Then I heard him on the phone saying, "Oh, okay. I'm sorry. I'll sell them for more from now on." He gave me his original prices though!

Then our friends the O's told us about their neighbor who was selling a kids' desk. So I went over there and got a good deal on it. I've been looking for one lately at consignment furniture places to no avail. This one was brand new in the box, and they were really flexible on the price because the company shipped them the wrong one first, and didn't want to pay shipping for them to send it back, so they got it for free anyway. Brad relented and let me buy it, and then put it together today. We cleaned out & rearranged two rooms! Oh, the dust! Thankfully it was such a beautiful day, cloudy & crisp outside so we could stir up the dust & open the windows for fresh air.

Last night we went to our son's make-up soccer game. He actually scored a goal again! This is the 3rd game in a row that he has scored a legitimate goal! (They often kick it in from inside the orange circle, and it doesn't count.)

It rained last night and the soccer fields were too wet for today's game, so the games were canceled. Brad's cousin Ben plays indoor soccer and had a daytime game, so we went to that. There was only one person in the bleachers! Much different from 4-year-old soccer games! He was cheered on and on and on by the kids (Chris & Kailey met us there). It was refreshing to watch a game where people actually kick the ball and it goes where they intend for it to go, and they actually run down the field with the ball, passing it and attempting to score. Ben is so good with our kids, and they love him. His team won, too!

Kailey stayed the night with us Thursday. Her mom was out of town on a business trip for a few days, so it worked out well for her to come over. We went to the zoo Friday and had a great time! We passed about 8 school buses on our way in, and they were on their way out. That was a relief! Oh, they have the coolest thing there. Well, it's really just a cool man that works there who knows a lot about bugs! Our son has a bug that he found in our backyard and took it to the Nature Exchange at the zoo. The man told us all about it, what it eats, where it sleeps, and what it's called. Somehow, kids can earn points there to "buy" other animals & bugs, and things like raccoon teeth and snake skins. I don't guess his Longhorn Beetle earned him any points.
But now we know what it is, as well as the black & white thing I take pictures of and send to my dad for identification.

Good night!

No comments: