Thursday, May 7, 2009
Thank You, Freaks
It's been four days since the OCHEC convention (Oklahoma Christian Home Educator's Consociation), and I have been chomping at the bit to have a chance to go to our local used curriculum store, Bibliomania. It is closed on Sundays & Mondays, and we went to the funeral of a dear sweet friend on Tuesday. So today was the first chance I had to go there. Despite the fact that it was after 1:00, and my kids were sleep-deprived and already acting like monkeys, I went and looked for the three sets of curriculum I had chosen.
Now keep in mind this is a consignment shop for homeschooling curriculum. Imagine walls & shelves bursting at the seams with books and boxes and packages and kits and zip-loc bags--all of which have been used. So it's not exactly the QuikTrip of bookstores. I asked for the phonics kit, "Sing Spell Read & Write". Since I don't know what is supposed to be in the kit, I felt a bit uneasy as the wonderful and eccentric store owner, Sue, floats from place to place looking for the books that go in the kit, answers the phone, talks to herself, tells a few stories, and gets excited as she finds each missing piece.
Also keep in mind that there is not a restroom in this store. Not even a private employee restroom, because if there was, I know Sue would be so kind and let my children use it. Something happens to my children's bladders as we walk in the door of the place. Every single time we've been there, they have the urge to go within 5 minutes. This coming from the kid who NEVER needs to go when it is my idea. Since the phonics scavenger hunt took a little too long, someone had an accident and we had to go home. Good time for a nap, I thought. So we went home emptyhanded, cleaned up, laid down (but never slept) for 1.5 hours.
An hour before closing we return to find Sue on the phone and at least 5 phonics kits she has dug out that are now complete! I have my choice of quality and price. This is a consignment store, so anything over a year old is discounted according to its age. While she's on the phone, I locate my math curriculum, Math U See Primer. The great thing is, she keeps finding older copies of things and lowering the price while I'm standing there!
Lastly, I remember to ask about Konos. A friend of mine, Vicky Stone, from the UCO BSU was at the Konos booth at OCHEC. She walked me through the whole curriculum and all its parts. She told me how she uses it with her children, and which parts she likes. It is a huge set of curriculum, but will last for over two years. I hope I still like it by then! I am looking forward to this part probably the most. It is based on character qualities, and then uses unit studies for each character quality. For example, the first one is Attentiveness. In this unit, you study the parts of the body used in being attentive--the eyes & ears; and people in history who were attentive, Lewis & Clark. And for the Patience unit, you study the growth of plants, the rising of bread with yeast, and so on. Science, social studies, history, biology, etc., are all taught right along with Christian values.
We got in & out of the store in about 30 minutes with a box of books and several stories of the homeschooler's football team. (Sue's son is one of the best [insert a football player's position here] in the state, and they've beat Union JV several times.) Now for more about OCHEC!
The best part of OCHEC for me (there were a lot of great parts, but I really want to share this one), was the keynote speakers. These are godly men who are pioneers in the homeschooling movement. By "pioneers," I mean they home schooled their kids in the 80's when it wasn't cool, and had little resources, curriculum or support, and paved the way for the rest of us who like the idea, but probably wouldn't stake our family's income on it (a.k.a. "Freaks"! This really is a term of endearment--see previous post.)
(By the way, the majority of the people I saw at this convention were 30-somethings who dressed trend-ily, and just looked to me like they were Baptist. Hairpins & denim skirts not required!) Ha! Yes, that came out of nowhere!
One speaker was David Quine. He spoke on Becoming “By Faith” Families. More on him later. But the 1st speaker was Steve Demme, of Math U See. One thing I remember that he said was that Christian parents need to be real and teach their children how to deal with guilt. Teach them to memorize 1 John 1: 9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." God doesn't stay mad at us, the way I stay mad at my kids for making a mess or breaking something. He forgives us, forgets it, throws our sin into the sea of forgetfulness "and puts up a 'no fishing' sign."
Steve said that his wife confronted him once and said he had an anger problem. He eventually dealt with this and went to each of his sons to ask forgiveness. He asked them if he had ever scared them because of his anger. They recounted several situations, and they together worked through them. Despite the pain of these conversations, he asked for and received his sons' forgiveness. He said this was one of the darkest and most painful times of his life.
Many years later, two of his sons were with him, speaking at a conference. During a Q & A time, someone asked his son Ethan, "What was it about your parents' life and example that led you to trust in Christ?" His son answered, "When my dad apologized to me and asked for my forgiveness, I knew his faith was real." Steve recounted how if he had not gone through that most painful time in his life, it could have cost his son his faith & eternity. Being real with each other and our kids. According to Steve Demme, this is what homeschooling--and life--should be about.
Now I have all this curriculum and can't wait to dig into it. But I think if I read my Bible everyday, and teach it to my kids, together we will learn everything we need to know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
We actually tried to go to Bibliomania yesterday, but it was closed. I have never been there before and their website says they open at 10am. Well, after driving down there and arriving at 11am, I learned that the website is wrong!
I didn't get to go to convention this year; it just didn't work out! Our co-op actually went to the Wichita, KS, one last year, and it was incredible!! Ginger Plowman was the key-note speaker and spoke 3 times. You should check out her website; her books are amazing!
I love that you commented about how the homeschool moms looked at the convention...I totally took note last year that like 90% of everyone looked "normal" :)!!
Also, we do Math-U-See, and I have been super-pleased! I need the 2nd grade one for next year; I'll have to go buy it at Bibliomania!
We should get together and visit more! In the meantime, I'm officially following your blog :)
Thanks for your comments, Margo! I know of a co-op that I'm going to check out. My friend Amanda introduced me to homeschooling and to C.H.E.E.R. co-op in BA.
I've done that exact same thing w/ Bibliomania, but I only live 7 miles away. There is plenty of Math U See stuff there, except the workbooks. Where do you get those? I heard Sue tell someone that they can send her an email through her website to ask her if she has something in particular. She will check and possibly save you a lot of time. There is also a play room there with a million mega blocks. I also heard her say that the store may be closed this Saturday, just FYI.
I'm so glad to have found your blog! Good to hear from you!
Wow, you inspired me to do my own post on OCHEC. I love, love, love your description of Biblio and Sue. FYI, AG actually had a huge accident there about a year and a half ago. I'm so impressed by all your research and the knowledge you are gathering and sharing. Way to go Momma B!
Post a Comment