Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Last Place

I learned something in children's church today. I was asked to sub and do "crowd control" because a few teachers were out. It was fun. Starts out with run-around-crazy-in-the-gym time. Then we do several upbeat songs--with motions, of course. My son got to stand at the front and act like he knew the motions. Which he didn't. But he did, however, know his memory verse. (Woo-hoo! Banana split for you!) Then they collect offering, sing happy birthday (and give money to the birthday box for OBHC), and have prayer. Then Bible study, and wait for the parents.

There were some 3x-a-week church kids sitting behind me not paying attention. One of them even got to present her friend as a first time visitor. I kept asking them to sit up, listen, stop talking, etc. At the end, I told the one that the main reason I wanted her to be quiet is because it is so important for her friend to be able to hear the message without distractions.

Later I thought about that some more. I remember thinking this as a kid: "If I could only get so-and-so to come to church or Falls Creek with me, she'll hear the gospel and get saved." And I would watch for people to act differently during the invitation time--convicted, emotional, repentant. (As if that is even something you can see on the outside.) Because, of course, the invitation time is the only time a person can be saved!

Why was I always silent about my faith around my friends, yet always inviting them to church so they could hear a message in a King James language? Why didn't I think that it would be more relevant and maybe even more accepted coming from me? Wow, I have been living a backwards life. I think the church pew should be the last place a person should come to hear the Gospel. Our friends should hear the gospel from us in our driveways, in our homes, at Sonic, or even on blessed Facebook. Then maybe they'll understand what they hear when they come to our church.

This author does not condone talking in children's church.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish this author would come visit my children's church! We could use help with crowd control or teaching the Bible! Loved your blog, but this is the 3rd time this morning I have heard the same message. Our morning company devo-giver said this, then Jerry commented on his pastor's sermon from Sunday night which basically said the same thing. So...ok, ok, I GET THE MESSAGE! Now if i will act on it and quit waiting for other people to 'lead those I care about to Christ". Thanks so much for this!!

Stephanie Harbin said...

Very nice thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the disclaimer at the end! :)

this post reminds me of an old country song.
"I'm going to hire a wino...to decorate our home...so you'll feel more at ease there..."

My question is...why are there lines to get into clubs and bars and not into church?

~Shari

we do, as believers, need to do a better job of living out the transformation of the good news of Jesus Christ.

They SHOULDn't have to come to church to hear of the hope that is found in Christ alone...but maybe church should also be a place that they would want to be!

of course my friend says that our nonbelieving friends know who to go to when they are ready for the news of hope and transformation...they may avoid us and our church until then...

ok...i realize this isn't MY blog so i'll shut up...it's just that my thoughts had already been cooking on this!