Monday, November 23, 2009

Lather Gathering

Recently I read (More Gifts for Giving, Gooseberry Patch) of the idea to make soap as a gift for kids, and to include a little toy inside the soap. We tried it and made a few for family. I tried to add glitter, but I guess mine is a cheap kind. The glitter's color dissolved into the soap! By the way, this is my grandmother's Fire King measuring cup. It is stained and old, but I love it because it was hers.


We got some toy frogs to put in my nephew's soap, as well as some metallic confetti stars. We got a yogurt cup and a snack size fruit cup out of the recycle bin to use as soap molds. Thankfully my friend Alissa gave me some real molds, and I used those to make a few for adults in the family. The pink one has a ring in it and was supposed to have pink glitter. Now I know!


I also tried some tinsel and some Christmas erasers. I used a silk leaf for great-grandmother's soap. Craft foam letters worked well too, but they floated in the melted soap.

I found the best scent at Hobby Lobby. They have little bottles of scents for $2.99, and we chose wild berry. Yum! I will keep it around for when I get time to make our own scented playdough, as Mrs. Taft did here.

We gave a lot of homemade gifts this Christmas. Bracelets, soap, celebration plates, candle holders with colored sand, glow-in-the-dark planets, and framed hymns. It was nice to create something that I could give to those I love. However, I need to condense my creative efforts. We couldn't use the dining table for a month because of all the stuff on it! I was either waiting for paint to dry or waiting for time to go to the store for more supplies. I'm not too sure that we saved much money, but it sure was fun!

No comments: