Thursday, January 15, 2009

Compassion

This is the picture I've been wanting to blog about all night. It just took me a while to get through those other fun photos. That, and we're watching our recording of American Idol and it's hard to focus.

Can't explain the hats & gloves, but the reason they're sleeping in the floor is quite sweet. Last night, Little B. couldn't go to sleep and started crying. B. & I, exhausted after a long time of "bedtime routine" being dragged out, didn't jump to comfort her. The next thing we know, Ry-dog has come to her side and they make a pallet in the floor between their rooms. He likes her idea of staying warm with the stocking hat & mittens, so he joins suit. With Little B.'s pillow, our new super soft Disney blanket, and their warm winter caps, they finally settle down--on their own terms--for a warm winter's nap.

I recently read an article by Focus on the Family about teaching your children to have compassion. It suggested 4 ways to do this: 1) Lead by example, 2) Serve together as a family, 3) Use the power of media to make your kids aware of less fortunate people, and those with special needs, and 4) Let kids care--if they want to give all their allowance to a friend in need, then let them give it. One thing I learned as a children's minister, which has been confirmed by having my own kids, is that kids are more spiritual, more sensitive, more like God's spirit than adults. I can't explain it fully, so hopefully you know what I mean. They seem to be closer to God. You know, they have that sweet love about them, that attitude that is so honest that it cuts to your core, but you know they don't mean it harshly. Like when they tell me my breath stinks, or my fat is sticking out, or that my hair looks silly. It's the same voice that says, "I love you Momma, you're so pwetty." Maybe compassion isn't something kids have to be taught. Maybe they just need a chance to express it, and someone who will let them. Someone who won't squelch it; someone who will recognize it and listen.

So when a little boy goes to his sister's room when she's crying, it's because he really cares about her and doesn't want her to be sad. And partly because he himself doesn't want to go to sleep alone, either.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sue said...

THANK YOU for finally adding to the Blog. I love it and love to see pics of you and your family and hear their stories. THANKS

Sue said...

what a beautiful story.........and precious picture, too. the peaceful rest of innocence and warmth. thank you

Stephanie Harbin said...

Precious!! I love my soft disney blanket too. Ciara and I love to curl up in it.

stee